tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: How do I specify a different workDir for each user accessing the same Tomcat 4.1.27 implementation
Date Fri, 26 Sep 2003 17:01:01 GMT

Howdy,

>If I'm not too demanding :-) can you please explain why it is a bad
idea to
>use the same Tomcat instance for more than one user. Is it performance
>related or is it something else ?

Your "users" above are developers, not normal client users.  It's
legitimate for developers to experiment with the server configuration,
properties, etc.  Tomcat is free, you don't have to pay anything for
extra installations.

Forcing developers to share installations restricts their options during
development (or at least slows down the process if they have to make
sure their config change is OK with all other developers using the
server).

If one developer's mistake crashes the server, everyone suffers.  If he
has his own server, no one else is interrupted when it crashes.

Finally, sharing the same tomcat instance doesn't gain you any
significant advantage.

Of course, there should be a shared/central integration testing server.

Yoav Shapira