tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Hertenstein Alain <alhertenst...@gva.eri.ch>
Subject RE : JSP form submit does not overwrite request parameter value
Date Tue, 02 Sep 2003 11:25:06 GMT
Hi,

>I have a JSP that contains a form with some input fields. This JSP is
called and passed a parameter in the request object.
>i.e. http://<page_url>?myparam=abc
>One of the input fields in the form has the name as the parameter.
>i.e. <input name="myparam" .......>

I don't understand your need of setting a parameter in the target form page,
while the same parameter already exists inside the form ? Maybe you better
set a different parameter name for value 'abc' (like ?myparam2=abc)...

>However, when the form is submitted the original value that in the request
"myparam" parameter does not get overwritten by >the value that is entered
into the input field.
>Is this behaviour correct? I would have expected that the input field value
would overwrite the original "myparam"  >value...

This behaviour is correct, I just tested it and it works this way.
BUT, I have the solution for you : a parameter can have multiple values.
For your case, you can get all values of "myparam" parameter by using the
request.getParameterValues("myparam") method. You'll get a String array
containing all values, i.e. "abc" as the 1st value, then the value which was
set in your form as the 2nd value.

Just tried it and it works.
Hope it helps.
Alain