tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Subir Sengupta <ssengu...@walmart.com>
Subject RE: When does tomcat call the garbage collector?
Date Sat, 27 Sep 2003 03:43:20 GMT
You could set up a context or lifecycle listener.  Then, when you shut down
Tomcat you could close your connections in the respective contextDestroyed
method or stop method.

Subir

-----Original Message-----
From: Filip Hanik [mailto:devlists@hanik.com]
Sent: Friday, September 26, 2003 12:15 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: When does tomcat call the garbage collector?

it is your own responsibility to close connections from a pool. Tomcat
doesn't do garbage collection, the Java VM does. Also, if you kill your VM
and the connections are still open on the AS400 box, tough luck, (I would
imagine they should timeout shortly) that is out of reach from the VM/Tomcat
side, best thing you can do is to not keep a pool of open connections,
because if the VM crashes or gets killed, there will be no one closing them
from the client

Filip