tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Thomas Eichberger <thomas.eichber...@gmx.net>
Subject Multiple Tomcat instances for virtual hosts
Date Sat, 06 Sep 2003 12:12:16 GMT
Hi,

I have Apache 1.3 and Tomcat 4.1.8 on a Red Hat 9 machine.

Apache serves several virutal hosts. We have one Tomcat instance running
with several web contexts, one context for each virtual host.

Now I would like to change this to have one Tomcat instance for each
virtual host (this is necessary because Tomcat sometimes crashes, and I
don't want all virtual hosts to be down then).

I read a book about Tomcat and searched the Web, but could not find out how
to do this. What I assume is:

In Apache's httpd.conf I have something (after the import of mod_jk):

NameVirtualHost 200.200.200.200 (or whatever)

<VirtualHost 200.200.200.200>
ServerName www.xxx.com
DocumentRoot /tomcat1/webapps/xxx
JkMount /servlet/* worker1
JkMount /*.jsp worker1
JkMount /*.do worker1
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 200.200.200.200>
ServerName www.yyy.com
DocumentRoot /tomcat2/webapps/yyy
JkMount /servlet/* worker2
JkMount /*.jsp worker2
JkMount /*.do worker2
</VirtualHost>

Then I will install Tomcat two times, in /tomcat1 and /tomcat2.

The server.xml of each Tomcat contains different ports (for shutdown and
for the connector for ajp13).

The workers.properties should look like:

worker.list=worker1,worker2
worker.worker1.port=8009
worker.worker1.host=localhost
worker.worker1.type=ajp13