tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@jboss.org>
Subject Re: running tomcat on port 443 as non-root
Date Wed, 24 Sep 2003 06:48:26 GMT
Damian Egli wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have to run Tomcat standalone as user e.g tomcat (non-root) on port 443.
> But the server doesn't start (not able to bind port 443).
> With 8443 everything works fine.
>
> Why can't tomcat do that like apache ?

Because Java wasn't designed to allow that.
There are solutions which are being worked on, such as the
commons-daemon project. Tomcat 5 is designed to take advantage of
commons-daemon, so it allows running a low port without root.
See the docs:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/setup.html

--
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx