tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Adam Hardy <ahardy.str...@cyberspaceroad.com>
Subject Re: character encoding, JAAS, servlet filter vs. valve
Date Tue, 23 Sep 2003 14:14:38 GMT
On 09/23/2003 03:20 PM Joerg Heinicke wrote:
> Ah, okay. It's our first Struts project and experience. I found
> http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/api/org/apache/struts/config/ControllerConfig.html#contentType

> and set the contentType in the struts-config.xml with
> <controller contentType="text/html;charset=UTF-8"/>. But as written at
> the above link this option sets only "the content type and character
> encoding ... on each response". This means it does not handle/influence
> the request character encoding.

I have successfully ignored character-encoding on the request until this
point. I am going to have read up about how java knows the difference
between UTF-8 and single-byte character sets.

> albeit - does not sound very English, but my dictionary knows it :-)

Pronounced all - be - it which makes it sounds like 3 seperate but very
english words. Never did know what it meant. Did I use it correctly? 8-)