tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Ted Weatherly <>
Subject Running tomcat with JRE + tools.jar
Date Fri, 19 Sep 2003 23:54:27 GMT
Hello All,

I know you're supposed to run tomcat using the SDK but I want to avoid
that if possible.  Instead, I am trying to run tomcat 4.1 using the
JRE...and I still want the ability to compile servlets.  I read
somewhere that you can accomplish this by copying tools.jar to the
$jre_home/lib directory.  I tried this and I get:

 > ./
The JAVA_HOME environment variable is not defined correctly
This environment variable is needed to run this program

My JAVA_HOME is set to the base of my JRE (/usr/java/j2re1.4.2_01/).
That path is valid.  Tomcat starts if I set JAVA_HOME to the base of my SDK.

What do I have to do to get Tomcat to run with the JRE?  Is there a doc
for this?

PS> You can redistribute the SDK if it is bundled with your software,
right?  The legal agreement on seems to confirm this ("The
program [SDK] must add significant and primary functionality to the
software.").  I've read in a few forums, though, that you can only
redistribute the JRE.  Perhaps Sun's policy has changed?

View raw message