tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Peter Yellman <pyell...@webformation.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat 4.1.27 not reloading classes even after applying hotfix
Date Fri, 19 Sep 2003 17:56:02 GMT
Hi,

I'd like to follow up on
http://www.mail-archive.com/tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg103877.html.

I just setup an instance of TC 4.1.27, and applied the hotfix (GNU tar,
tar -xvzf 4.1.27-hotfix-22096.tar.gz).  Verified that the hotfix was in
place.

Then, with the default setup & webapps completely unmodified, I was
fooling around with logging/debug options in the administrator to see
what kind of output various options produced.  When I set loader
properties debug level = 9 for the examples context (which has
reloadable = true) I see the following in catalina.out:

First, a detailed error message (see below), then repeated instances of
the message:

WebappClassLoader:     Failed tracking modifications of '/WEB-INF/lib'
WebappClassLoader: modified()

That doesn't sound good to me.

As an aside, I've been using 4.1.24 for a while, and just tried setting
reloadable = true in one of my own applications for the first time a few
days ago; it doesn't seem to work.  I'll bump up the logging and see if
4.1.24 produces similar messages, I guess.

----- detailed error message from catalina.out -----------

WebappClassLoader:   Loading class from local repository
WebappClassLoader: loadClass(java.io.Writer, false)
WebappClassLoader: loadClass(java.io.StringWriter, false)
WebappClassLoader: loadClass(org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet, false)
WebappClassLoader:   Searching local repositories
WebappClassLoader:     findClass(org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet)
WebappClassLoader:
findClassInternal(org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet)
WebappClassLoader:     --> Passing on ClassNotFoundException
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet
         at
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.findClassInternal(WebappClassLoader.java:1$
         at
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.findClass(WebappClassLoader.java:968)
         at
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1410)
         at
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1289)
         at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(StandardWrapper.java:885)
         at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.load(StandardWrapper.java:823)
         at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.loadOnStartup(StandardContext.java:3421)
         at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:3609)
         at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1188)
         at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:738)
         at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1188)
         at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:347)
         at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:497)
         at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:2190)
         at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:512)
         at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:400)
         at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:180)
         at
         at
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:203)

Looking forward to any comments,
Peter Yellman

http://newsletter.JAMMConsulting.com