tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Yair Zohar <y...@ard.huji.ac.il>
Subject Re: A Hebrew Problem
Date Wed, 17 Sep 2003 09:33:18 GMT
After some investigation I'll try to refrase and improve my problem

My Goal: including a hebrew html inside a jsp page.

The Problem: hebrew is viewed by browser as question marks (no matter
charset).

Some details from my investigation:

When I request the hebrew html directly (not included in a jsp but as
the request target itself) I see it right (charset=windows-1255).

When writing hebrew (same charset) in the same jsp page (that has the
include action) I see it right (but the included html is still ????).

To be sure it's not the 'include' action (<jsp:include
page="relativePath/fileName" flush="true" />) fault, I replaced it by a
function that returns the included page as a string and ensures it's
read in ascii:

<%= pageExecuter.readHtml() %>

when this didn't help, I wanted to be sure my function is returning the
jsp page an ascii string, I wrote this in the jsp page:

//moving the html string to a char array.
<%char [] c =  pageExecuter.readHtml().toCharArray();

   for (int i=0; i<c.length; i++){%>

//displaying 'character code' 'character'
     <%= (int)c[i] %>;&nbsp; <%= c[i] %><br>

<% } %>

in that way I can see in the browser each character's code and the
character itself.
I've got ascii codes, but near the hebrew ascii codes there were '?'

(I'm aware of the different hebrew ascii sets exists I tried both
224-250 , 128 - 154 )

My conclusion:
Tomcat doesn't send the browser a response with ascii code but with some
other code.

Any Idea ?

Thanks for your efforts.