tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jaco Kroon <j...@kroon.co.za>
Subject Re: ManagerServlet (autherization on a percontext basis)
Date Tue, 16 Sep 2003 22:08:07 GMT
Actually no, reloadable="true" will only reload the classes and lib
directories (I've tried).  Also, having almost 315 (314 iirc) users on
the system each with his/her own webapp can get quite bad.  Also, tomcat
doesn't load all the contexts on startup unless there exists a
WEB-INF/web.xml file.

So, I had two possible solutions to this:

1.  Hack the startup scripts to ensure that there exists a
WEB-INF/web.xml file - this does not solve the problem of users being
able to reload web.xml

2.  Hack the manager app.  This is the path that I followed, the results
would have been viewable at http://hokusai.cs.up.ac.za:8080 but for the
IT departments firewall ...

Each user is now required to log in, then he/she is presented with the
options deploy,undeploy,start,stop,reload and my own creation restart,
along with logout.

I've now moved on to having trouble with the security policy.  It dies
on access denied to a file ${java.home}/jre/lib/xerces.properties, this
same policy works fine on tc4.0.3, but tc4.1.26 dies a horrible, but
quick death.

I see there is another thread on this also, my implementation is
extremely specific to our specific setup (there is no time to do it the
"correct" way - not that there seems to be one).

Jaco