tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Steve Kelem <s_ke...@pacbell.net>
Subject Help! JSP not working in Tomcat 5
Date Wed, 10 Sep 2003 17:47:43 GMT
I get a connection timed out message, even though I told the socket in my java program
not to time out.

I'm trying to deploy a bot from the book "Programming Spiders, Bots, and
Aggregators in Java".

It's the "translate" program in chapter 4, which is supposed to
translate a page into pig latin.
Whenever I run it in Tomcat, I get a connection timed out message, even
though I told my socket not to time out.

1. Does Tomcat restrict access to network connections?
If so, how do I enable my application to talk to any site?  (You're
supposed to be able to enter the url of the site you
want to translate into the .jsp form, and then the java program will do
the translation and then output the translated page.)

2. I tried adding the following lines to conf/catalina.policy:

grant codeBase "file:${catalina.home}/webapps/translate/-" {
permission java.net.SocketPermission "*", "connect, accept, connect,
listen, resolve";
};

grant codeBase "file:${catalina.home}/webapps/translate.war" {
permission java.net.SocketPermission "*", "connect, accept, connect,
listen, resolve";
};

Is the specification "*" okay?  I hope I don't have to list every
possible url.

3. I tried stopping the Tomcat service and addint the -security "start
parameter" in the Windows Services Properties window.
How do I get the tomcat service to use this parameter always?

Thanks,
Steve Kelem