tomcat-users mailing list archives

From John Turner <tomcat-u...@johnturner.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat startup failure
Date Fri, 05 Sep 2003 17:07:57 GMT

Sounds to me like a permissions/environment problem.  For example,
starting Tomcat as root manually, but then the script tries to start
tomcat as some non-root user.  If Tomcat starts as root, log files are
owned by root and non-root users cannot write to them.  It should throw
an error somewhere, though maybe its getting swallowed by a redirect to
/dev/null or something.

I would verify the script and doublecheck that the script environment
(variables, user account, etc) matches exactly with the way you start
Tomcat manually.

John