tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Noel Rappin <nrap...@sockeye.com>
Subject Tomcat startup failure
Date Fri, 05 Sep 2003 14:27:10 GMT
I have a set up where tomcat is supposed to start on boot via an rc
shell script on a Linux system (tomcat 4.1.18).  I have this
intermittent failure mode where tomcat fails to start up on reboot.

I can _always_ trigger this failure by deleting all tomcat log files,
and then rebooting.  After the reboot, the only thing in the log
directory is a zero-length catalina.out file, and the java process is
not running.  Invoking the tomcat startup again at this point causes it
to work normally.

I can find no evidence that the tomcat java process exits, and no matter
how much I turn up debugging, I get no logged output.  Is there any
possible mechanism that could be causing this failure, or at least some
place or some way I could get better debugging information?

Noel