tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Adam Hardy <>
Subject Re: Using jdk1.4 logger problem
Date Fri, 05 Sep 2003 07:34:02 GMT
On 09/05/2003 05:16 AM Bill Barker wrote:
>>But, some how the logger manager can't find the handler classes. (Class
>>loader problem?)
> Yup, it's a CL problem.  Unfortunately, it looks like the problem is in
> Sun's implementation of 1.4 Logging.  Instead of using the
> ContextClassLoader, it's looking for your class in the AppClassLoader
> (which, of course, knows nothing about your class :).
> At the moment, the only work-around I can see is to place your jar in
> $CATALINA_HOME/common/endorsed.  Of course, if it will make you feel better,
> you can also b*tch at Sun for not designing their Logging implementation in
> a way that is friendly to app-servers ;-).

Hi Bill,
have a similar problem. Bug

My logging formatter class is not being found. It was found in 4.1.24
but after upgrading to 4.1.27, the formatter class seemed to disappear
off the radar for tomcat/java.

I have it in the common/lib directory.

I followed your advice to Kam Yuen and put my jar in the
common/endorsed, and the class was found. I'd be happy to file this as a
bug with Sun but I don't understand why you are sure it is Sun, and not
Tomcat. After all, 4.1.24 worked.

struts 1.1 + tomcat 4.1.27 + java 1.4.2
Linux 2.4.20 RH9

View raw message