tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Tim Funk <funk...@joedog.org>
Subject Re: IllegalStateException - org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteRequest.doGetSession()
Date Mon, 01 Sep 2003 22:24:00 GMT
The stack trace you posted has to do with committing the reponse (which
actually means sending data back to the client instead of sitting in a
buffer), then trying to allocate a session. Allocating a NEW session involves
sending a cookie back to the client to let the client be aware of the new
session (so there may be a session).

Well, cookies can NOT be created after the response has been committed since
the header has already been sent to the client.

So ... look into your code and determine where you you may create a new
session. Then when that may occur, see if the state may have been previously
committed for some reason.

The servlet spec has more details about this.

-Tim