tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@jboss.org>
Subject Re: IllegalStateException - org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteRequest.doGetSession()
Date Mon, 01 Sep 2003 17:54:40 GMT
YErkan@decaresystems.ie wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We're running Tomcat 4.1.24 on Win2K sp4. After a few days of use (usually 4-5
> days), Tomcat comes to a semi-halt mode and it refuses to process some of the
> pages. Even the thrown exceptions are not logged. It looks like it's a thread
> pool related problem because, apparently, the connector runs out of threads. I
> know that if an error occurs, the thread is supposed to be discarded from the
> pool to keep the consistency and the integrity however I don't understand why
> they aren't created again...
>
> Please have a look at the stack trace below. Any help/advice would be greatly
> appreciated! ;-)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Stack Trace follows:
>
> 2003-08-31 01:37:30 JspFactoryImpl: Exception initializing page context
> java.lang.IllegalStateException: Cannot create a session after the response has
> been committed

Well, this is a valid error, and doesn't indicate a problem.

As for TC running out of threads, you should do a thread dump to see
what's going on (ctrl+break on Windows in the TC console; I don't know
how to do it if TC is running as a service).

If the issues persist, you could test TC 5.0.9 beta, which has
scalability improvements.

Remy