tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@jboss.org>
Subject Re: Problem switching to Struts 1.1
Date Mon, 01 Sep 2003 17:37:38 GMT
Marco Tedone wrote:
> Hi, I posted this issue to the struts-user list 3 times, but noone replied
> to me and frankly I'm beginning to be a little worried. In few words we have
> an application which was running fine until struts rc1 but when we switched
> to Struts 1.1 the following exceptions is thrown:

> <!-- ENDOF EXCEPTION -->
>
> The problem seems to be the org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4jCategoryLog
> class which is not found in the classpath. Now, I had a look at the
> commons-logging file and actually there is a similar class called
> org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JCategoryLog (please note the capital
> 'J'). What shall I do then?

Yes, something looks very fishy regarding case sensitivity with the
log4j support in commons-logging. You might want to file a bug against
commons-logging and because class naming is inconsistent, and can cause
user errors (for example, there's a o.a.c.l.impl.Log4jFactory class
along with a o.a.c.l.impl.Log4JLogger class).

That being said, I've only seen that error occur if the webapp is
privileged (ie, there's a Context element with a privileged="true"
attribute). If you don't know what privileged does, and put it there
because it sounds better, I suggest you remove it (and read the docs) :)

Remy