tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Michael Duffy <duff...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: Web App Using JSTL Is Still Failing Under Tomcat 4.0.6
Date Tue, 30 Sep 2003 21:22:16 GMT

Now I'm getting a NoClassDefFoundException when I try
to run my echo JSP:

sun.tools.javac.Main

(It used to work.)

I see that this class is contained in my
JAVA_HOME/lib/tools.jar.  I also see from a Google
search that lots of folks have had problems with this.

The easy fix is to modify the CLASSPATH, but where to
do it?

I'm running Tomcat 4.0.6 as a Windows service.  A
Google search turned up a script that showed me how to
do it:

@echo off

if "%OS%"=="Windows_NT" setlocal

    set SERVICE_NAME=Apache-Tomcat-4.0.6
    set JAVA_HOME=C:\Tools\JDKs
    set
TOMCAT_HOME=C:\Tools\jakarta-tomcat-4.0.6-LE-jdk14
    set
BOOTSTRAP_SERVICE=org.apache.catalina.startup.BootstrapService
    set STDOUT=%TOMCAT_HOME%\logs\stdout.log
    set STDERR=%TOMCAT_HOME%\logs\stderr.log

    echo Service name: %SERVICE_NAME%
    echo Java HOME   : %JAVA_HOME%
    echo Tomcat HOME : %TOMCAT_HOME%
    echo Bootstrap   : %BOOTSTRAP_SERVICE%
    echo Output log  : %STDOUT%
    echo Error  log  : %STDERR%

    tomcat.exe -install %SERVICE_NAME%
%JAVA_HOME%\jre\bin\client\jvm.dll -server -Xms64m
-Xmx256m
-Djava.class.path=%TOMCAT_HOME%\bin\bootstrap.jar
-Dcatalina.home=%TOMCAT_HOME%
-Djava.endorsed.dirs=%TOMCAT_HOME%\common\endorsed
-start %BOOTSTRAP_SERVICE% -params start -stop
%BOOTSTRAP_SERVICE% -params stop -out %STDOUT% -err
%STDERR%

if "%OS%"=="Windows_NT" endlocal

But now that I examine that script a little more
closely, I see that I don't have any -classpath
arguments passed to the tomcat.exe.  Typing tomcat
-help didn't reveal any CLASSPATH info.

Why isn't Tomcat picking up my tools.jar anymore?

This gets worse by the minute!  I knew how to run
Tomcat this morning!  ;)  - MOD