tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Michael Duffy <duff...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: Web App Using JSTL Is Still Failing Under Tomcat 4.0.6
Date Tue, 30 Sep 2003 19:07:33 GMT

Thanks very much for taking the time - I greatly
appreciate it.

On Shawn Bayern's sage advice, I put the standard.jar
in the CLASSPATH and make the URI identical to the
value in the c.tld file inside the jar.  I don't put
the .tld files under my WEB-INF, and I don't have any
reference to them inside my web.xml.  I let Tomcat
sort them out using the JAR that the developers
provided.  Shawn Bayern gave this advice on the JSTL
list a while back, and I've followed it ever since:

http://www.mail-archive.com/taglibs-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg04587.html

Both the echo and data source test apps are set up
that way, too.

I downloaded the JSTL from Jakarta.  It's the standard
1.0.3 version.  I'm using only the EL tags, not the RT
tags.

Excellent suggestion.  I went into the standard.jar
and checked the class name for the <c:redirect url>
tag.  The tag class is
org.apache.taglibs.standard.tag.el.core.RedirectTag,
and I can see it in the JAR.

I'll turn on more log messages and see what they tell
me.  Thanks.

Here's a "DLL Hell" question for you: where should all
those JARs go?  I put my JDBC JARs in the
TOMCAT_HOME/common/lib directory, as the docs
instruct.

I've got the JSTL JARs in TWO places:
TOMCAT_HOME/common/lib AND in the WEB-INF/lib
directory in my WAR file.

Could that be it?

If I put the JSTL JARs in TOMCAT_HOME/common/lib, I
get the benefit of all apps seeing updates at the same
time and the harm of breaking if only one of them
needs an update.  Keeping them close to the app and
putting them in the WEB-INF/lib of the WAR file should
prevent breakage from new versions, but forcing the
effort of changing all those JARs when an update
occurs.

Which do you recommend?

Sorry to be stringing these questions together like
this.  Please stop me the moment I become an
annoyance.  Thanks - MOD