tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Ben Souther <bpsout...@adelphia.net>
Subject Re: Generating huge reports via servlets
Date Sun, 14 Sep 2003 13:30:00 GMT
Is it the size of the file or the amount of time that it takes to generate
it?. Try serving up a static copy of the report after it's finished.
If you can serve up a static version, then it's probably not the size.

We've got some large reports (>5meg) that can take up to 15 minutes to
generate. Instead of having the user sit at a blank screen while it's being
run, we kick off the report and immeditately forward the context to a
status JSP.  The status page refereshes every 20 seconds, checking to see
what reports are complete.  Once complete, we provide a link to a servlet
that streams the report to the user's browser.