tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Marco Tedone" <mted...@jemos.org>
Subject [OT] Realizing a search functionality
Date Thu, 04 Sep 2003 22:32:14 GMT
Hi, I must admit that I don't know anything about how to realize a search
functionality. The only thing that I know is that most sites have a search
functionality which, when searching for something, return a list of links
more or less involved in the search string.

The only things I know are:

1) An index of the web site contents should be created somehow
2) The search 'action' (I'm talking in Struts terms, but I think it could be
anything) should interact with this index to match the required string
3) A list (which form does it assume) containing all the links related to
the query string should be created, eventually read and displayed to the
client

Did anyone of you realized succesfully a search functionality in its site?
Could you please address me towards some good software (possibly
open-source, possibly Jakarta, possibly java-oriented) and  patterns to use
to realize  a search functionality?

Many thanks,

Marco