tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Seth Newton" <snew...@keithley.com>
Subject Memory Leak with static content
Date Fri, 12 Sep 2003 20:57:45 GMT
All,

OS: Sparc-Solaris 9
JDK: 1.4.0_02
Tomcat: 4.1.27

Problem:
I start tomcat and it takes up about 45MB of RAM.  I wrote a script to email me every ten
minutes the amount of memory it's taking up.  The results are showing me that it gains about
1MB every 10 minutes or so (on average).  If I let it go, it will grow until it runs out of
memory.  Right now, I have a script to restart tomcat after the memory is too high.  This
is a bad solution.  I've looked at a LOT of people's suggestions from other threads, and I
have tried the following:

-Use jikes
-Set development to false in web.xml
-Increase the heap sizes
-set fork to true in web.xml

Other Info:
-I'm using Tomcat to feed about 6 sites with static content.  I have one jsp page that handles
all of our forms, and all that does is capture the <input> and send it to an email address.
 It is the only code I have anywhere.  This jsp page is not causing the memory leak.
-I had the same problem with 4.1.17, and was hoping that an update would help, but it didn't.
-This is an incremental increase, and doesn't seem to have much to do with traffic patterns
or how much I use my one jsp page.

Any suggestions would be great.
-Seth.