tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "King,Daniel" <dk...@IDFG.STATE.ID.US>
Subject RE: Urgent! Cannot start Tomcat - java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
Date Fri, 19 Sep 2003 18:56:44 GMT
A problem I have experienced over the years with WebLogic, is that I will run it as a non root
user such as 'weblogic'.  To do so, I will change owner for the whole directory where WebLogic
is stored.  Then when trouble shooting I forget and run the server as root, which causes it
to create a variety of configuration and log files as owned by root.  Then when I subsequently
try to run the server as weblogic, it fails, because user 'weblogic' does not have privileges
on the files created by root.  I am relatively new to Tomcat, but I suspect that the same
thing can happen.

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Denise Mangano [mailto:Denisem@complusdata.com]
	Sent: Fri 9/19/2003 11:33 AM
	To: Tomcat Users List
	Subject: RE: Urgent! Cannot start Tomcat - java.lang.OutOfMemoryError

	I think it might be safe to assume the problem was with the user I was
	running tomcat as, if that makes any sense at all???  After I did what I
	said below, I realized that I was testing this out as root, and I should
	try it as other users.  I tried it with my login, and I can start Tomcat
	just fine...  I tried it with the user that was running it previously,
	and that is when Tomcat will not start and I get the same errors...

	Is it possible for a user to become corrupt??

	Denise Mangano
	Complus Data Innovations, Inc.
	914-747-1200