tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Vikram Goyal" <v.go...@uq.edu.au>
Subject Stackoverflow after DB inactivity
Date Tue, 16 Sep 2003 02:17:33 GMT
Hello all,

I am getting a Stackoverflow error in Tomcat 4.1+ after a period of database
inactivity, typically (3+ hours). I am using Struts for the front end and
while the non DB access pages work fine, as soon as access to a page is
requested where data is to be fetched from the database, I get the
StackOverflow. This is not random and I can replicate the error. The error
goes away however, when I try to access the same page twice or thrice and
everything works fine after that.

This error is appearing on both windows and linux, i.e., Tomcat is on these
machines, although the database, MySQL 4 is running on linux 9. The DB
access is through a connection pool I set up in Struts config for my
application using org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource.

The stack trace follows:
2003-09-16 11:39:56 StandardWrapperValve[action]: Servlet.service() for
servlet action threw exception
 at
FilterChain.java:269)
 at
ain.java:193)
 at
va:256)
 at
eNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
 at
 at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:995)
 at
va:191)
 at
eNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
 at
 at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:995)
 at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.invoke(StandardContext.java:2416)
 at
)
 at
eNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
 at
java:171)
 at
eNext(StandardPipeline.java:641)
 at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:172
)
 at
eNext(StandardPipeline.java:641)
 at
 at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:995)
 at
:174)
 at
eNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
 at
 at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:995)
 at org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:223)
 at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:601)
 at
ction(Http11Protocol.java:392)
 at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:565)
 at
a:619)
 at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)
----- Root Cause -----
java.lang.StackOverflowError

Any help, pointers appreciated.

Regards,