tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Christopher Williams" <ccwillia...@ntlworld.com>
Subject Re: Where should I put properties files
Date Fri, 19 Sep 2003 09:03:00 GMT
Configuration files are a problem area in Java, particularly J2EE.  You can:
1. Use a Preferences object (although I personally have found this quite
painful - you need to provide a UI to set up and administer your preferences
and system preferences require admin privileges on Windows).
2. Put your config file in a directory off the user's home directory.  Use
System.getProperty("user.home") to retrieve the home directory and build up
the path to your file.  Indicate in your documentation that the web service
must run in the context of a aprticular user.