tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Joao Medeiros" <joao.medei...@ntlworld.com>
Subject Tomcat on Linux
Date Sun, 28 Sep 2003 18:42:31 GMT
Hi folks,

I've decided to start doing some testing on Tomcat under Linux for which
I have installed Redhat 8 which is now up and running, downloaded the
JSDK for Linux which is also setup and downloaded the Tomcat files but
before I go ahead and start installing it I was wondering if you could
help me out determining a few things:

- Shall I create a new user, i.e. 'Tomcat' and install the server under
it or shall I just put it under ROOT? I know that if I do choose to
install it under a different user other than ROOT I'll have to setup
special execute permissions so the server can run on port 80 for
instance...

- I read somewhere that in order for Tomcat to run as a daemon one will
have to use the jsvc tool. Has anyone got any experience in doing it?

TIA,
/JM