tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Paul" <p...@msci.ca>
Subject Re: Memory Leak with static content
Date Fri, 12 Sep 2003 21:44:50 GMT
   you sure it is not the operating system itself.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Seth Newton" <snewton@keithley.com>
To: <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, September 12, 2003 4:57 PM
Subject: Memory Leak with static content

All,

OS: Sparc-Solaris 9
JDK: 1.4.0_02
Tomcat: 4.1.27

Problem:
I start tomcat and it takes up about 45MB of RAM.  I wrote a script to email
me every ten minutes the amount of memory it's taking up.  The results are
showing me that it gains about 1MB every 10 minutes or so (on average).  If
I let it go, it will grow until it runs out of memory.  Right now, I have a
script to restart tomcat after the memory is too high.  This is a bad
solution.  I've looked at a LOT of people's suggestions from other threads,
and I have tried the following:

-Use jikes
-Set development to false in web.xml
-Increase the heap sizes
-set fork to true in web.xml

Other Info:
-I'm using Tomcat to feed about 6 sites with static content.  I have one jsp
page that handles all of our forms, and all that does is capture the <input>
and send it to an email address.  It is the only code I have anywhere.  This
jsp page is not causing the memory leak.
-I had the same problem with 4.1.17, and was hoping that an update would
help, but it didn't.
-This is an incremental increase, and doesn't seem to have much to do with
traffic patterns or how much I use my one jsp page.

Any suggestions would be great.
-Seth.