tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Steve Widmar" <swidm...@irf.com>
Subject Re: dynamic install and reload (resend)
Date Tue, 12 Aug 2003 04:46:27 GMT
Jake - thanks for your persistance here...

While your feedback is chock-full of cheery helpfulness, you've missed my one crucial requirement
-
that the server running the ant tasks (and containing the .war to be installed or reloaded)
is NOT the tomcat server.

I checked out your link (http://barracudamvc.org/cvs/Barracuda/src/catalina-tasks.incl?rev=1.6&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup)
and the tomcat example app (http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/appdev/sample/build.xml).

I'll quote your catalina-tasks.incl comments (prior to your catalina-install target):
"NOTE:  This target will only succeed if it is run from the same server that
  Tomcat is running on."

That tells me that the essence of what I'm trying to do cannot be done - I'll quote my original
post
"...
2. ant script executed on host that is NOT the same host as the host that tomcat 4.1.x is
running on;
in other words, deploy from one host to another, or from 'off-host'.

My motivation:
This is driven by the desire to deploy essentially the same war to multiple environments (ie,
staging, production)
without having to hop around from host to host, lugging the war each time (and then still
having to install or redeploy).
..."
(note: I used 'host' where you used 'server' in your comment above)

I see the (very flexible) custom ant task support for installation and reloading of a .war
-
(just as I did when I first read the tomcat-manager how-to
at http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/manager-howto.html)

I just dont see how to do it from one machine to another.

Thanks again for taking the time -
If you (or anyone else, of course) have any more ideas, I welcome them...

Steve

>>> hoju@visi.com 08/11/03 06:19PM >>>

Oh, ok, you are just looking for the basics.  The Catalina Ant Manager
tasks will allow you to install, stop, start, reload, and remove.  Changing
hosts is as easy as installing using the URL for a particular host.  You
can install from a directory outside Tomcat's normal webapps directory or
deploy a .war file to Tomcat.  There's all kinds of stuff you can
do.  Check out the appdev example application in the Tomcat docs for
examples in using the Ant manager tasks.  There should also be lots of
examples in the Tomcat-user archives.  You can also find some reusable
examples here...
http://barracudamvc.org/cvs/Barracuda/src/catalina-tasks.incl?rev=1.6&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

That is an include file that I include in my main build files using XML
entity includes.  See also the build.xml and sample.build.properties to see
how it fits in.

Jake