tomcat-users mailing list archives

From john-paul delaney ...@justatest.com>
Subject [OT] JDBC confusion
Date Thu, 07 Aug 2003 11:58:23 GMT

Hello List... newbie question coming up:

If I set up a jdbc connection object in one servlet, do I have to close it each time or can
the same connection be re-utilized by other servlets each using a different sql statement
(perhaps storing the connection as a session attribute?).

Is there a significant resource saving by not creating a JDBC connection object for each database
access?

I'm thinking of storing a connection for each user in the session, as opposed to pooling -
primarily because I'm not sure how a database pool works nor how to set it up.  Should I do
a re-think on this?

I'm using one postgresql 7.3.3

thanks
/j-p.