tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Prince" <thelastpri...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: how to suppor 30000 concurrent users
Date Fri, 02 Aug 2002 14:32:30 GMT
Hi Angus
how difficult it is for making tomcat to support clustering , do we need to
have additional tools?
thanks
Prince
----- Original Message -----
From: "Angus Mezick" <amezick@guidestar.org>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 7:41 PM
Subject: RE: how to suppor 30000 concurrent users

Doesn't seem to have that much of an effect.  I guess I should profile
it though.  I don't want to use session persistence because then I would
need to use network session clustering.  Session clustering is a
requirement for my app.  I figure using a DB instead of memory to store
my sessions is better than sending 5 network connections to the other 5
of the 6 web servers with the session data that will only be valid to
ONE of those servers.  Before tomcat we were using Iplanet 4.1 and the
cisco load balance we have SAID it could handle session affinity but it
didn't seem to be able to.  So we went with a DB solution which, to me,
seems to be the more optimal solution.  The DB also means I can have a
MUCH larger number of active sessions using my servers because I don't
have to worry about the sessions using all my memory.  I just have to
worry about DB disk space but I had have 2 or 3 terabytes of disk while
only have 2 GB of memory.  Seems to be an easy trade.
--Angus