tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: active session counting, redux
Date Thu, 07 Aug 2003 18:04:06 GMT

Howdy,

>after changing the timeout to 5 min, i confirmed that indeed it was
>destroying a session after 5 min.

... and your listener was properly removing the session from its list?

>the reason i went with HttpSessionListener was i had read that using
>HttpSessionBindingListener, once the session was unbound, you couldn't
>get any info on that session.

True.

>the reason i went with my user implementing HttpSessionListener was i
>had read that you had to implement it in an object that would be bound
>to the session, and my user object is the only one i am certain to bind
>to the session.

That's true if you want the session itself for its data, rather than
just its ID to know that it exists and to count it as active.

>now, i now you guys have had endless discussions about active session
>counting (hence my subject line contains "redux"), and i apologize for
>bringing up an old and re-re-rehashed topic, but i could still use a

Not a big deal.

>little more advice. i haven't quite got it working yet, but
nevertheless
>i guess i'm ready now to hear what i should have done instead of what i
>did do.

Depends on your design goals: do you only want the number of sessions
that are active, or do you want more, e.g. the value of certain
attributes in the active session?

As an aside, your web site (www.happypuppy.com I assume) is cool.  Is it
served by tomcat?

Yoav Shapira