tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Servlet mapping for root directory in a webapp?
Date Thu, 07 Aug 2003 13:47:14 GMT

Howdy,

>Today I changed it to:
>
>         <servlet-mapping>
>                 <servlet-name>MainView</servlet-name>
>                 <url-pattern>/index.html</url-pattern>
>         </servlet-mapping>
>
>And, as I understand it, tomcat(?) returns that servlet mapping for
>requests for the root catalog. Well, it is a kind of workaround, but
>since it works well enough I'll just accept that and continue.
>
>But if anyone know more about the magic behind it all, I'd be very
>greatful for a thorough explanation of how and why it works.

There's no magic, it's a clearly defined mapping for the url-pattern
according to the laws in the servlet specification, v2.3.  You can raise
the logging level for the Host/Engine to see exactly the pattern
resolution steps.

The Servlet Specification v2.4, which tomcat 5 implements, supports a
servlet as the welcome-file, which is what you are trying to do.

Until then, most people make do with a simple index.html containing a
meta http-equiv refresh directive.

Yoav Shapira