tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Servlets & JSPs log to different files
Date Fri, 01 Aug 2003 16:57:30 GMT

Howdy,

>What is standard/recomended approach to getting my servlets and JSPs to
log
>the same file.
>
>I am currently using the context logger in server.xml as follows:
>
><!-- ActionItems Context -->
><Context path="/ai" docBase="ai" debug="0" reloadable="true"
>crossContext="true">
><Logger className="org.apache.catalina.logger.FileLogger"
prefix="ai_log."
>suffix=".txt" timestamp="true"/>
></Context>
>
>My JSP logs into /var/log/tomcat/ai_log.2003-08-01.txt
>But my servlets log into /var/log/tomcat/catalina.out

How are you logging in your servlets?  Are you using
System.out/System.err?  If so, don't use them, and instead use the
ServletContext#log(..) methods.  Output from the servlet context log
methods will end up in your context logger, ai_log... above.

Alternatively, use a logging kit like log4j and have both your JSPs and
servlets use it.

Yoav Shapira