tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: running a servlet
Date Fri, 01 Aug 2003 14:40:15 GMT

Howdy,

>In my browser I go to "
>http://neptune/jasonTest/servlet/HelloWorldExample" and get a page not
>found (404).
>
>I am running it on port 80.  The only difference between my webapp and
>the "examples" webapp is that I have no "web.xml".
>
>My friend has no problem on his Tomcat server with no web.xml (running
>the same version of Tomcat).  He runs servlets without web.xml just
fine.

Either your friend or your observation is wrong: add web.xml, and in it
add a definition (<servlet> tag) and mapping (<servlet-mapping> tag) for
your servlet.  Then you'll be able to access it.

For a better overall structure, move JSP out of WEB-INF, add a lib
directory under WEB-INF for 3rd party jars your app may need, and put
your servlet in a package.  But all those are optional.

Yoav Shapira