tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Ratón Lacarcel, Antonio" <ara...@indra.es>
Subject RV: Tomcat SSL client authentication problem with Internet Explore
Date Thu, 21 Aug 2003 13:37:35 GMT
Hi!

I have a problem with Tomcat 4.0.6 and SSL client authentication. When I use the Internet
Explorer browser (v6.0) and I try to access the secure URL (for example https://whatever:8043),
an empty list of certificates is presented. However, if I use Mozilla 1.4 or Netscape  4.76,
the client certificates are presented and the secure pages are available.

The following environment is used:

 + jdk1.3.1_08
 + Microsoft Certificate Server
 + Tomcat 4.0.6

My server.xml file has the following element:

               enableLookups="true"
               acceptCount="10" debug="3"  scheme="https" secure="true" connectionTimeout="20000"
               useURIValidationHack="false">
    <Factory className="org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteServerSocketFactory"
               clientAuth="true"
               keystoreFile="C:\Documents and Settings\araton\.keystore"
               keystorePass="changeit" protocol="TLS"/>
    </Connector>

I have also created the keystores and the cacerts (for trusted certificates) files. Tomcat
also finds the cacerts file because I've added the following parameters in the Tomcat enviroment
variables (and because I've seen it in the debug console):
-Djavax.net.ssl.trustStore=c:\path_to_cacerts\cacerts
-Djavax.net.ssl.trustStorePassword=changeit

I have defined my own CA, my server-tomcat certificate signed by the CA and in order to create
the client certificates, I've used the Certificate Server web tool, asking for a web certificate
using each browser (Netscape-IE-Mozilla) and installing the client certificate from the browser.

Could you help me please?

If more info is needed, please tell it to me and I will try to explain the problem with higher
detail.

Thanks in advance and sorry if my english is too simple...

Antonio Ratón

---