tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Glenn Parsons <gpars...@1bigthink.com>
Subject Re: Hardware and Memory Requirements
Date Thu, 07 Aug 2003 19:20:38 GMT
At 06:45 PM 8/7/2003 +0000, you wrote:
>Thanks Mourad
>
>I am surpised that I could not find any document which talks about
>hardware and memory requirements for installing and running tomcat. I have
>other other applications running on the system and without the memory and
>h/w requirements it will be difficult for me.
>
>Thanks

--BIG SNIP!--

This is because YOU have the responsibility of controlling the number of
threads that are allowed to run your application. Depending upon how much
you expect your box to get hit, or how little, and how BIG your application
is, the hardware requirements will vary wildly. You can determine these
factors by developing on a minimal development machine and benchmarking.

I consider this a great strength of this software as I do not have to
dedicate a dual processor, 2GB ram machine to my developers, while I may
require it for production.

I had problems with this too, initially, but you may grow to appreciate it.

Cheers!