tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Zöhrer @ pronet.at" <robert.zoeh...@pronet.at>
Subject Tomcat MultiHosting problems
Date Fri, 15 Aug 2003 14:49:28 GMT
Hi all,

I've great problems with Tomcat and setting up a context in a 2nd
(virtual) host:

my environmemt:

OS: Redhat Linux
Platform: Intel x86

TC version: 4.1

tomcat4.conf:
--- cut -----
CATALINA_HOME="/var/tomcat4"
JASPER_HOME="/var/tomcat4"
CATALINA_TMPDIR="/var/tomcat4/temp"
---- cut -----

1) There is a dir called /home/www/vhostxx/html/webapps for the
vhost-files. There User uploaded her Apps via FTP. There are just a
few jsp-files and a WEB-INF-subdir with a standard web.xml.

Permissions:

drwxrwxrwx    2 vhostxx_user   ftponly      4096 Aug 12 14:03 webapps

2) Host and Context are defined in server.xml (see below)

But when i define the Context (shown below) with den Admin Panel, I
get this error from the Logger:

2003-08-15 14:27:21 StandardContext[/webapps]: Resources start failed:
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Document base
/home/www/vhostxx/html/webapps does not exist or is not a
readable directory

and

2003-08-15 14:27:21 StandardContext[/webapps]: Context startup failed
due to previous errors
2003-08-15 14:27:21 StandardContext[/webapps]: Exception during
cleanup after start failed

:(

3) When I try http://www.www.domain_vhostxx.at:8080/webapps/file.jsp

I also get

HTTP Status 404 - /webapps/file.jsp
type Status report
message /webapps/file.jsp
description The requested resource (/webapps/file.jsp) is not available.

Of course, this is, because "Context startup failed" .. but why is
this so? TC has also add a work-dir for this host and context but the
context-working-dir is empty :(

There are no basicly problems, because the Admin Panel (localhost,
context: /admin) works fine.

Is it a problem, when appBase, docBase are outside $CATALINA_HOME?

Are there spezial permission needs for the appBase, docBase dirs? But
now there are permissions to ALL with

drwxrwxrwx    2 vhostxx_user   ftponly      4096 Aug 12 14:03 webapps

Is there anything that I don't know?

I'ld be very very glad if anybody has an idea, because I've studied
the docs for days and can't see a mistake in my config?

Thanks a lot Robert