tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christian Hauser <c.hau...@active.ch>
Subject HttpSessionListener: Negative session count
Date Tue, 12 Aug 2003 08:21:23 GMT
Hello J2EE programmers

I wrote a JSP some time ago that uses a class SessionCounter (which
implements HttpSessionListener) to count the active sessions of a web
application and to display them.

Unfortunately there seems to be a problem with my program, because the
web application says that there are currently -18 active sessions.
However, the lowest possible count should be 0.

Of course I could implement the sessionDestroyed the following way (to
prohibit a negative session count, but then the current session count
would not be correct, not?
     public void sessionDestroyed(HttpSessionEvent event) {
       if (activeSessions > 0)
         activeSessions--;
     }

Code of JSP file:

Here's the class SessionCounter, which belongs to a utility JAR that is
situated in the lib directory of The web application.

   public class SessionCounter implements HttpSessionListener {

     /** Static variable to keep track of the current number of active
sessions. */
     private static int activeSessions = 0;

     public void sessionCreated(HttpSessionEvent event) {
       activeSessions++;
     }

     public void sessionDestroyed(HttpSessionEvent event) {
       activeSessions--;
     }

     public static int getActiveSessions() {
       return activeSessions;
     }
   }

I'm using Tomcat 4.1.24 and hope that someone of you might give me a
hint on how I can get a reliable session counter.

Christian