tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Rick Roberts <techi...@ait-web.com>
Subject Re: [OT] how to pronounce Apache ?
Date Mon, 11 Aug 2003 12:45:51 GMT
It's true.  The name comes from "A PatCHy server".

It was first developed as a series of patches to the NCSA (National Center for
Supercomputer Applications) httpd 1.3 web server, and was informally named "A
PatCHy server". The first stable release, V1.0, was released on 1 December,
1995. This was essentially the NCSA 1.3 server with a number of fixes and
enhancements.

http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/story/story_1284.html

* Rick Roberts                            *
* Advanced Information Technologies, Inc. *
* http://www.ait-web.com                  *