tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jon Wingfield <jon.wingfi...@mkodo.com>
Subject Re: [OT] JDBC confusion
Date Thu, 07 Aug 2003 09:10:50 GMT
I agree with Nix, use a connection pool.
One connection per user may be ok when you've got, say, 5 concurrent
users but when you've got 1000, 10000, .... Not scalable.

http://tomcatfaq.sourceforge.net/database.html
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/jndi-datasource-examples-howto.html

Jon

john-paul delaney wrote:

> Hello List... newbie question coming up:
>
> If I set up a jdbc connection object in one servlet, do I have to close it each time
or can the same connection be re-utilized by other servlets each using a different sql statement
(perhaps storing the connection as a session attribute?).

> Is there a significant resource saving by not creating a JDBC connection object for each
database access?

> I'm thinking of storing a connection for each user in the session, as opposed to pooling
- primarily because I'm not sure how a database pool works nor how to set it up.  Should I
do a re-think on this?