tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: Jasper, JSPC, Ant and Precompiling JSP's
Date Mon, 04 Aug 2003 15:52:04 GMT
Thanks Ian,

We actually already have a shell script that does this too. I was hoping
to get some details on how to make the jspc and tomcat behaviors more
consistent with each other so that I could move away from this strategy
and use the compiler directly.

Unfortunately, its often the case that our jsp's are behind security
realms and cannot be gotten at without logging into the webapplication
first which means we need to maintain session information while
'grazing' the jsp's.

Since this was starting to get more complex than I wanted, I was hoping
to step back and see why JspC wasn't just providing jsp compilation
features that were not consistent with Tomcats behavior when compiling
intothe work directory.

 From what I understand, Jasper loads each JSP into its own classloader,
this means that it can get away with having the same exact package name
in each JSP even though they are in different directories in 'work' the
classloaders load each individual _jsp.java/_jsp.class file relative to
to the directory it is within.

JspC on the other had, treats the directory as a package hierarchy
(which is great if your going to dump them into the classes directory
and map them in your web.xml). It is apparent that JspC cannot be used
to compile the JSP's into Tomcats work directory because of this package
naming issue.

-Mark