tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Robert Charbonneau <tomcat-u...@kdesktop.org>
Subject Re: <Context>
Date Wed, 27 Aug 2003 20:31:31 GMT
On August 27, 2003 10:12 am, John Turner wrote:
> Sure, as soon as you give us insight such as:
>
> - what's wrong, exactly

I want to be able to run JSPs directly from the root of the domain on the
webserver.  ie. http://domain.tld/index.jsp

When I access http://localhost/index.jsp when the path of the Context
container is set to "/", I get a 404.  This, obviously, is undesirable.
However, if I simply hit http://localhost/ Apache gives me a directory
listing which shows me index.jsp.

> - what error messages you're getting

I get a 404 File Not Found error when I try to access index.jsp from / when
<Context path="/"

> - what version of Tomcat

4.1.27

> - what version of Apache, what connector

Apache httpd 2.0.47 and mod_jk-2.0.43.so

> - whether its working in Tomcat standalone, without Apache

It's not working as the root of the tomcat server on port 8080, but I wasn't
expecting it to.  I want the root of the domain being able to serve JSPs and
Servlets so I don't have to create a subdirectory off of the root for this
purpose.

http://localhost/index.jsp

> Specific information is best.  Saying "it doesn't work" doesn't help us
> help you.  Also, there is more involved in Apache + Tomcat than just
> server.xml, so you will need to give us that information as well (please
> don't post entire files...just snippets showing deviations from defaults
> is sufficient).

Sorry about that, most mailing lists I belong to are pretty free form.  I'll
keep an eye on the amount of data sent in the future.

As for the rest of the configuration, everything is default except server.xml.
When I startup Tomcat mod_jk.conf is generated in $CATALINA_HOME/conf/auto/
and is included by httpd.conf which is the only modification to that file I
made aside from changing ServerName to ServerName localhost.

Any help would be appreciated.

--
Robert Charbonneau
tomcat-user@kdesktop.org