tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <>
Subject Re: First mod_jk problem - can't start apache with Include statement
Date Wed, 27 Aug 2003 06:46:15 GMT
I'm afraid that you are clueless ;-).  Apache+mod_jk only needs read, which
it's got.

You could try posting your conf files, to see if anyone can spot the

----- Original Message -----
From: "Denise Mangano" <>
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.jakarta.tomcat.user
Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2003 3:38 PM
Subject: First mod_jk problem - can't start apache with Include statement

I've been following John Turner's how-to (diff apache version but the
instructions can still apply).  I think they problem is a permission
issue, but wanted some verification.

Apache install is ok, Tomcat install is ok.  I followed the steps, and
added the Listeners, and the LoadModule and Include statement at the end
of my httpd.conf.  When I uncomment the Include statement apache starts
up no problem.  When I try to use it, my system just hangs as I try to
start apache.

Tomcat is running under user tomcat, and all directories from
/usr/local/tomcat down have rwx for tomcat, and r only for all others.
However, Apache runs as user 'www'.  I tried changing permissions to be
executable by all but that didn't seem to do the trick.  The system
still hangs when I try to start Apache.

Here is my structure with permissions:

--usr drwxr-xr-x
   --local  drwxr-xr-x
     --apache  drwxr-xr-x
     --tomcat  drwxr-xr-x
  --conf  drwxr-xr-x
          --auto  drwxr-xr-x
              mod_jk.conf -rwxr-xr-x

If its not a permissions issue, then I'm quite clueless as to what it
can be.  I can't even run a config test.  Any suggestions/advice is
greatly appreciated.

View raw message