tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Mike Curwen" <gb_...@gb-im.com>
Subject RE: URI Servlet Path Problems
Date Wed, 06 Aug 2003 21:35:22 GMT
Sorry, I realized after sending it didn't explain the
misunderstanding...

I got caught up with this not long ago when using sendRedirect, so I
think I have this clear in my mind.

It's all in the browser.

The browser interprets form actions that begin with slashes as meaning
"relative to the domain" so that would result in an action of
"/servlet/foo" being requested by the browser as
"http://www.yourdomain.com/servlet/foo"

So unless your application is the deafult application (which in this
case it's not, it's /holocron), you'll get a 404.

If on the other hand you give it no leading slash ("servlet/foo"), the
browser says "relative".  But relative to the domain and "folder" (for
lack of a much more technically accurate label).  And to a browser,
/holocron/secure looks like folders.

So if you GOT to the form by saying
http:///www.yourdomain.com/holocron/secure/showmetheform

Then all relative urls will be from