tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Quest Software" <supp...@quest.com>
Subject Auto-Confirmation
Date Fri, 22 Aug 2003 16:38:35 GMT
Thank you for submitting your request to Quest Software Technical Support.  We are unable to
process your request because our records indicate that you are not registered for Technical
Support.

To register, logon to our Supportlink web site http://www.quest.com/support , and  self-register
from the web.  Or, you can phone Quest at one of the numbers below to register.

Once you have registered, you can submit your request within Supportlink, by email at support@quest.com,
by phone at one of the numbers below.

Please do not reply to this email.

If this is an URGENT matter please contact Quest Technical Support via telephone at one of
the numbers listed below.

Thank you,

Quest Software Technical Support
www.quest.com/support

Quest Software Technical Support - Canada               902.442.5700
Quest Software Technical Support - United Kingdom  44.1628.601007
Quest Software Technical Support - United States      949.754.8000

- Runtime.getRuntime().freeMemory().

>  As you can tell from the functions, they're JVM-wide, not Tomcat-specific.  This would
be true for any program, as all classes in the JVM share one heap.

>  Tomcat's objects are cleaned up normally by the garbage collector, just like all other
program objects.  Tomcat's programmers take care not to keep unneeded references to objects
which would prevent collection, but we like everyone else are not perfect.  So if you see
a memory leak in the code, by all means point it out.

>  Most of the time, applications leak memory, and do so in amounts much larger than tomcat
itself.  Profile your application to see where memory is used so that you can correct the
code.  At the same time, you can profile tomcat by itself if you're not convinced its memory
use is efficient.

>  Sometimes, applications need more than the default 64MB java allocates the heap.  In
that case, you would increase the heap size as needed by your app.