tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Andoni" <and...@indigo.ie>
Subject New Connection pooling => Apache Connects Maxing out ?
Date Tue, 12 Aug 2003 09:54:00 GMT
Hello,

With some great help from this list the other night I implemented connection pooling on Tomcat
using the commons-dbcp package.

I am using Tomcat 4.0.4

That seemed to work fine and there are no problems in testing but as soon as I put it live
the number of Apache processes rockets through the roof and apache stops accepting connections.

The log file says "MaxClients" reached.  This was no problem as MaxClients was set to 20 which
was fine with the old (non connection pooling) .war file.  So I set up MaxClients to 256 and
restarted, now the problem happens again.

Why does TOMCAT connection pooling require my Apache web server to make more connections to
the client???????

This is causing a total site outage as I cannot replicate the problem in any test environment
so it is URGENT!!  Please Please help.

Kind regards,

Andoni.