tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Stuart MacPherson" <apr...@dsl.pipex.com>
Subject RE: First Servlet 404 error
Date Fri, 29 Aug 2003 23:36:36 GMT
Tomcat can usually find JSPs very easily.  Is welcome.jsp also in
CATALINA_HOME/webapps/onjava/ ?  Try the following:

private String target = "welcome.jsp";

If 'onjava' is your namespace then this might work.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Si [mailto:Jim.Si@CalgaryHealthRegion.ca]
Sent: 29 August 2003 19:04
To: Tomcat Users List
Cc: Stuart MacPherson
Subject: Re: First Servlet 404 error

Thank you Stuart for your great help.

HellowWorld servlet works! But I still have one problem.

I got login.jsp in the webapps\onjava directory.  It has
    <form name="loginForm" method="POST" action="servlet/com.onjava.login">

In login.java, it has
 private String target = "/welcome.jsp";
  // Forward the request to the target named
  ServletContext context = getServletContext();
  RequestDispatcher dispatcher = context.getRequestDispatcher(target);
  dispatcher.forward(request, response);

In welcome.jsp, it has very simple return statement.
   <b>Welcome : <%= request.getAttribute("USER")

In webapps\onjava\Web-inf\web.xml, I have
<servlet>
<servlet-name>login</servlet-name>
<servlet-class>com.onjava.login</servlet-class>
</servlet>

<servlet-mapping>
<servlet-name>login</servlet-name>
<url-pattern>/servlet</url-pattern>
</servlet-mapping>

In a browser, I use http://localhost:8080/onjava/login.jsp and I got the
login
screen, then click on submit button.  I got the following error.

HTTP Status 404 - /welcome.jsp
description The requested resource (/welcome.jsp) is not available.

Look like it runs the login class, how do I correct this problem?  Thank
you.

> Also, make sure your HelloWorld servlet is mapped-in in your webapps
> deployment descriptor.  By the way, the folder should be called WEB-INF
not
> web-inf.

Windows somehow change WEB-INF to Web-inf automatically.  I could not use
WEB-INF.

Jim