tomcat-users mailing list archives

From John Turner <tomcat-u...@johnturner.com>
Subject Re: Is it posible to Start and Stop a single web application on local server without using the Manager application
Date Mon, 14 Jul 2003 19:54:14 GMT

Reason #953 why you shouldn't use mod_webapp.

My point is simple:  if it is a separate web application, and it is
working, then it should be accessible via the Tomcat Manager application.
There is no reason whatsoever to involve Apache or mod_webapp if doing so
is causing you grief.  Just talk to Tomcat directly.  What URL you need to
use to do so, and what other things you have to do to get Tomcat's Manager
to understand your virtual host setup are up to you...if the Manager app
didn't work with multiple virtual hosts and multiple web applications,
there'd be no point in having it, would there?

That said, you could even modify your own catalina.sh script to issue the
commands as necessary, but asking for the dev team to change catalina.sh as
you suggested would probably be met with some resistance, with the answer
being "use the manager application to stop and start your web applications,
that is why it is there."

John