tomcat-users mailing list archives

From John Turner <tomcat-u...@johnturner.com>
Subject Re: Apache 2.0.40 and tomcat 4.1.24
Date Thu, 10 Jul 2003 18:33:37 GMT

Dang, and you can get all of the info you need for free, right here.

The number one problem everyone will have with Red Hat and the connectors,
JK or JK2, is that Red Hat's Apache IS NOT a standard Apache distribution.
It is a munged up distribution, and unless you know EXACTLY what Red Hat
has done to the Apache source that they include with their distributions,
trying to slam mod_jk in there or build JK or JK2 from source will be
problematic at best, and impossible at worst.  Red Hat branched Apache
2.0.40.  They've (allegedly) applied all of the current fixes between .40
and .47 to their .40, but they haven't updated the version number.  And who
knows what else they've done.

The NUMBER ONE thing you can do to make this ALL GO AWAY is to SKIP Red
Hat's Apache, and install Apache from source.  Installing Apache from
source is absolutely painless, and there are all sorts of step-by-step
instructions for doing so available.

If you must use Red Hat's Apache, then probably the main problem you will
have is the location of APR and apxs.  You will need to figure out where
those are, and give the correct locations to the ./configure script.
You'll also probably need the actual RH Apache source RPM (httpd-devel???
I don't even remember now what its called), not just the RH Apache binary
RPM.  All of this stuff goes away if you just download Apache from source
and build it...it has everything you need and everything you need gets put
exactly where you can find it.

John