tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Joe Reger, Jr." <...@joereger.com>
Subject RE: How to configure
Date Tue, 01 Jul 2003 15:09:50 GMT

Ted,

It's a religious sort of thing (coder vs. designer) (system architect vs.
usability analyst) (technology vs. sales).  To make systems more stable and
portable we need case sensitivity.  To make systems easier to use designers
relax restrictions to make systems a little easier to deal with.  Does
portability outweigh the user's need to do finger gymnastics?  Who knows.
Like anything in life there's always a tradeoff.

You're speaking in a very code-oriented forum right now.  You might also
want to check out a usability forum for another perspective.

Bottom line with Tomcat... case insensitive is not possible.  But you can
explore case insensitivity for passwords, usernames, etc.  Many times those
are the areas where case sensitivity can more severly affect application
usability.  My humble (and uninformed) opinion is that users don't type URLs
much.  They search and click.  Or they type a domain-level URL and click.
Or they bookmark and click.

But they all have to log on at some point (most systems).  Which brings up
the mathematical argument that case insensitive passwords are easier to
break...  which brings up the usability argument that if users can't log in
they won't use the system... which brings up the argument that users won't
use a system that's insecure...

And on and on...

Good luck,

Joe